Subject: Console?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Siegfried Pohl <spohl@bert.in-berlin.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/05/1999 22:57:09
Hello World,

just one week ago, I bought a VAX2000 for 20,-DM (about 10 US$), and I
would like to install NetBSD on it. Some questions came up:

- In the HOWTO, they said, I have to use a serial console, which is
  a communication program running on a PC, like minicom. About the
  cable to connect the VAX at the serial printer port with the PC's
  serial port, can I use a nullmodem cable?

  And if not, can such a cable, as described on the NetBSD/vax homepage,
  be bought in a computer shop, or do I have to assemble it myself,
  and if it can be bought in computer shops, does it have a special
  name or description?

- The "console", is it like a virtual terminal under linux, that is, can
  I log in at the console, or do I just get messages from the computer
  on the console (Is is a two way communication VAX <-> human, or just
  one way VAX -> human)? What are the comm parameters? (7,n,1
  I know, how many bit/s ?)

- To connect the vax to thin ethernet, am I correct, if I say, that I
  can use the same thin ethernet t-connector at the vax, that I use on
  every PC?

- I just attached my TK50 drive directly on the SCSI bus on my PC, running
  Linux 2.2.12, with an Adaptec 2940. It worked fine ( I certainly had
  to speed down the adapter, and recompile SCSI support without
  tagged command queing), but just for _small_ files, e.g. <=10kb. For
  larger files, I got SCSI bus errors from my kernel. Did anybody
  manage to attach the TK50 to a modern SCSI adapter? And if yes, what did
  you do?

Thanx in advance, Siggi
-