Subject: Re: vax cross compiler
To: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/03/1999 22:25:06
Hi !

> > > Don't know if anybody else has done it, but i386 cross compilers to vax
> > > would be nice.  Let's see, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux all sound good to me.
> > >
> > It is simple to do. I have used a cross compiler for many years when doing
> > kernel development. It was simple.
> >
> Yeah, yeah.  Basicly just build the binutils for vax, but somebody should
> make a package for it, so others will not have to do it.  Having every
> joe-shmoe making the cross-compiler seems like much duplication of work,
> which is why there are so many ready-made packages available for
> everything else.  Also, it helps the lazy and incompetent.

Is it enough to compile binutils/gcc for TARGET=vax or so ? Would prefer this
on Solaris/UltraSparc here :-)
I think the structure of Makefiles and their includes should be ported, if you
want to compile the kernel on other platforms. Maybe i look into it, wanted to
do so since a bit longer. 3 hours kernel compiling on a VAX is a good time, but
if you can get it in 10 minutes, it's even better :-)

So long.. Michael