Subject: NetBSD/vax 1.4.1 packages
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/03/1999 00:00:53
Just to let everyone know, there are now several hundred precompiled
NetBSD/vax packages for the 1.4.1 release available on the NetBSD FTP
servers.  These have been created from the 1.4.1 tagged pkgsrc collection.

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.4.1/vax/

Very few of these have been fully tested, but I've not run into any
problems yet with the ones I actively use.  The collection includes some
really handy things like perl, nethack, emacs, screen, tcsh, bash, pine,
lynx, and trn.  It also includes some items which compiled alright on the
vax but may not be practical to run on some of the VAXen due to resource
constraints.  Still, if you want to remote display abuse from your
VAXstation 2000, you can try.

For more info on the use and organization of NetBSD packages, see the
NetBSD web site at http://www.netbsd.org/ and the man pages for
pkg_add(1), pkg_delete(1), and pkg_info(1).

Other interesting facts, currently the vax port has the most precompiled
binary packages at around 400 different ones.  The tortoise pulls ahead...

Thanks go to David Brownlee for getting the packages in place on the
NetBSD FTP server.

-brian.
---