Subject: Re: RIP, VAX
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/02/1999 20:42:56
>From: "J.S. Havard" <enigma@sevensages.org>

[NuVAX-in-flash-BIOS description]

I just *love* how close your description is to my Ersatz-11 PDP-11 emulator!
MSCP-on-IDE, multi DEUNA/DEQNA emulation using a built-in NE2000 driver, Alt-Fn
to switch virtual consoles, serial muxes on console and/or COM ports...
It tweaks the EGA/VGA font to be VT100-*like* (has the cute little FF/VT/CR
chars, _ is moved up level with the baseline, ! doesn't look like a footprint)
but not quite the real thing;  I did some experimentation years ago with using
the actual exact VT100 font (yes I have no life, I blew a whole afternoon
squinting at it and scribbling on graph paper) but just couldn't get it
to look good.  The VT100 character cell is 10 rows high while the EGA uses
14 and the VGA uses 16, if you just plug the VT100 defs in as-is the space
between the rows is too big (and the line-drawing chars don't connect up),
and I couldn't find a way to scale the chars w/o looking ridiculous.  Even
with the squished 10-line form it looked nicely reassuring, definitely very
familiar even though the EGA/VGA doesn't do the VT100's weird bit doubling.

Every now and then someone asks about a VAX version but so far it doesn't look
like there's enough commercial interest to justify the 6-12 months or whatever
that it would take to write and debug the first model (I'm assuming I can
emulate a Q/Unibus VAX model and re-use my disk/tape/mux/Ethernet emulations,
they were by far the hardest part of the PDP-11 emulation but the VAX CPU
is nothing to sneeze at either so it alone is still a very big deal).

John Wilson
D Bit