Subject: Re: Don't buy a vax, but the vax (was Re: RIP, VAX)
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/29/1999 10:11:54
<My mind has already been changed on this.  Now that I know a little more
<of the Qbus.  Also, the cards would be large and expensive.

Qbus cards (duals) are not that large and expensive is relative.  For
example a RQDX3 card was not cheap but when it came out but a complete
PC cost as much.  The difference is the RQDX wwas a complete floppy, hard
disk and logical to physical disk protocal all on one dual card.  To do
all there was a complete PDP-11 in the form of t11 chip with ram rom and
lots of IO.  IT's roughly as much hardware as an XT with hd and floppy
controller in it on and 8.5x5.25 inch card, and the XT would have not done
the task as well.  You pay dearly for that level of technology especially
when you consider that's an old board and when it was made the AT was the
PC king.  It was one of those things that gave the VAX or PDP-11 is was
plugged into a huge advantage over the PC in general performance.  there
were other cards like this as well.

<Yeah, but there are purists out there.  I've seen a PDP11 purist that
<refuses to run one PDP11 emulator because it runs a little fast.  "It
<isn't as pure" is his actual saying.

Never heard of that.  PDP-11s have the same deal speed wise as they run
from the slow LSI-11s to the monster 11/70s and 11/93s.

<Or just run emacs.

Only works on the old slow ones.  The later ones you need to have 25 users
with emacs to see the effect. ;)

Allison