Subject: Re: Don't buy a vax, but the vax (was Re: RIP, VAX)
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/28/1999 19:43:15
As I think of this, one thing that I think we should do is to not only
make a vax clone that out performs real vaxen, but how to do it at as low
a cost as possible, while still having a good quality machine.  I believe
somebody's estimate was US$5000-$7000.  This won't do!  I can barely
afford everthing I have, as it is, and be able to eat.

To make something that will be successful, it needs to be at a cost
comparable to a PC, and give a little more performance (its a vax, of
course it will!).  Let's not just cater to a select group of people, who
love the Vax architecture, and don't want to see it die.  Let's make
something that can be used by everybody, and won't cost them an arm and a
leg, and a third and fourth mortgage.

And I agree, let's emulate MSCP for disk drives, and everything else.
Such an elegant thing, if you ask me.  In fact, I think pretty much
everything thinks that.

So, let's just think here, what can we do to make them not cost much?

Regards,
John Havard