Subject: Re: Don't buy a vax, but the vax (was Re: RIP, VAX)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/28/1999 19:55:18
hello

> SCSI yes.  Q-bus no.  Get real.  No one is going to produce cards for this
> beast since the market is so small.  You are going to have to use a commodity
> bus such as PCI to get peripherals.  If Compaq were to make a new VAX, you
> can be use it would be PCI based with no ISA.

 yeah, as i said in my previous post. Qbus is not very fast.
Like Matt also pointed out, being asynchronous, you cant preserve
compatibility with the old Qbus devices and still speed things up much.

> Q-Bus is asynchronous bus.  There is little or no timing.  That makes it
> hard to speed up.

yup :-)

As for PCI, i eally hate PCI :-)
If we really must, then let one of our nexus devices which connects to
the spiffy hi speed TC backplane be a PCI adapter a-la unibus adapters
weve seen in BI and SBI VAXen, 750s, and so on.. :) Then the PCI bus will
be interfaced to the machine itself via an adapter which is a true VAX
nexus, though we should ourselevs also produce IO devices which , for a
higher perfoamnce and lower load on the system, (and higher price probly)
offer ture VAX nexus devices for the same stuff.
Then low end stuff can come with only a couple nexus slots or even none
at all and have the PCI nexus on the motherboard, and then just have PCI
as the peripheral interconnect. At any rate i suggest that thinsg
on-board all be nexi. Theres more work, but it will be worth it in
cleanliness and elegance and also scalability and lower overhead. We have
the vast advantage architecturally in a machine that can scale to
incredible IO like nothing else in the world except an IBM mainframe.
Lets take dvantage of that power!