Subject: Re: RIP, VAX
To: Andrew Phillips <atp@mssl.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/26/1999 09:51:59
> 	Yep, as an idea for "NuVAX", include a PCI bus for new fangled
>    stuff, and write a VAX instruction set microcode layer for the new
>    transmeta processor, so you have a VAX processor running at several
>    thousand VUPS. Keep the old cases and power supplies.

Nah, custom direct implementation of the VAX in a native processor, not
emulation! as for PCI, I'd rather see a 100 MHz TURBOchannel! such a
SIMPLE bus architecture!
Or, perhaps a sped=up version of XMI or BI, shrunk mechanically for
smaller boards and connectors. but i'd reallylike to see a 100 MHz TC.
Make workstation and small cabinet/rackmountable cage versions, design
all devices and peripherals to act as nexi like in the BI/XMI machines,
and make MSCP-emulating controllers/adapters for modern storage systems, be
they SCSI, P1394, IDE, or whatever. MSCP is beautiful.

> 	Have to get in quick, otherwise RedHat Software might buy out
>    SCO + the trademark before you :-). I've got 10 quid (16 euros) I'd put
>    towards owning the UNIX trademark. After all, its not like SCO is
>    using it is it? Bit like seeing an 11/780 being used as a henhouse out
>    in the back yard.

whoever owns the rights ot the UNIX source would probably be willgin to
make a deal on it.
or, we could reimplement the encumbered code, much like CSRG in the Net/2
days did, though i'd prefer to have it basedon 4.3tahoe and not 4.4 or
reno, to have amore pure BSD, without the POSIX stuff and without the
later sysv compatibility and so on.. :-)
and instead of Tru64 we coudl call it Tru4.3 :-)

Isildur