Subject: RE: Connecting a PC as Terminal at a VaxStation 3100
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Lehle Wolf <Wolf.Lehle@med.siemens.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/24/1999 13:10:25
> pins 3 and 4 on the MMJ should both go to pin 7 (ground) on the RS232.
> The 423 interface is differential, unlike RS232 which is unbalanced.
> Voltages are compatible, as is the signalling modulation. in lieu of the
> real return on the 423 side, use the ground.
>
> happy hacking,
> isildur

	[Lehle Wolf]
	Connected pins 3 and 4 with ground pin 5 of my 9-pin-plug. But
unfortunately no change: got still three garbage characters.
	I'm going to use a oscilloscope the next days ...

	Thanx so far.

	Wolf

	PS. Update:

 VaxStation:                                          PC:

 I             I  1 - DTR (Data terminal ready) ...   6 - DSR
 I 1 2 3 4 5 6 I  2 - TxD (Transmit data)       ...   2 - Rx
 I             I  3 - GND (Signal ground)       ...   5 - Gnd
 I             I  4 - RxC (Receive common)      ...   5 - Gnd
 ---------I    I  5 - RxD (Receive data)        ...   3 - Tx
          ------  6 - DSR (Data set ready)      ...   4 - DTR