Subject: Connecting a PC as Terminal at a VaxStation 3100
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Lehle Wolf <Wolf.Lehle@med.siemens.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/23/1999 14:44:51
First I installed NetBSD 1.4 on a PC. Now I'm trying to netboot a VaxStation
3100 from this PC, because the boot disk for the VaxStation is not working
properly :-(
What's missing now is a terminal connected to the VaxStation to monitor the
net-boot-process. Therefore I've manufactured a cable:

VaxStation:                                       PC:

---------------
I             I  1 - DTR (Data terminal ready) ...   6 - DSR
I 1 2 3 4 5 6 I  2 - TxD (Transmit data)       ...   2 - Rx
I             I  3 - GND (Signal ground)       ...   5 - Gnd
I             I  4 - RxC (Receive common)
---------I    I  5 - RxD (Receive data)        ...   3 - Tx
         ------  6 - DSR (Data set ready)      ...   4 - DTR

I connected this cable to an additional PC. Used the Windows98
hyperterminal, a freeware terminal program, an Amiga-Terminal program, wrote
an own simple terminal program. Tried the configurations with/without
handshake, changed baudrate stopbits etc.
But the only thing that's equal to all terminal programs is that I receive 3
(three !) characters (seens to be garbage :-( ) and then nothing happens ...

Could anyone be so kind to support me so I can quit the quest against the
serial
wind mills.
Is this cable ok ?
What are the correct transfer parameters (9600,n,8,1) ?
Handshake required ?
What is a RxC (Receive common) line ? Is one receive line not enough :-) or
is it a pecular ground line for the receive channel ?

Wolf