Subject: Re: VAXstation 8000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Sergey Svishchev <svs@ropnet.ru>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/20/1999 21:47:31
On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 09:33:37AM -0600, Roger Ivie wrote:

> > I fired up a VAXstation 8000 that was sitting in a corner collecting dust.
> > After some fiddling, I managed to get it to work -- at least partly. It
> > would not even show the chevron prompt until I pulled the KK810 cable
> > (KK810 is "Control Assembly") out of GIF (Goes In First) BI bus terminator.
> > Even then, no luck: (DU50 is a RD54 that is hung off KFBTA)
> [[[ snip ]]]
> > Something is obviously wrong, but without docs I am going nowhere...
> > Comments?  Advice?

> Sounds like bad memory. I'd start by trimming the system down to just
> the CPU, memory, and disk controller. I don't suppose you have one of those
> funky BI ZIF connector cleaners DEC used to make? (it's a long T-shaped

After all "fun" I've had with this VAXstation and three 8350's (only one of
which is currently running, other two are broken), I can't say I'm 100%
absolutely sure that everything is okay.  However -- the allegedly failing
memory board was pulled from a working 8350, where it passed all tests
(onboard and under VDS) and didn't make VMS or NetBSD/vax crash.  Without
further doco (esp. the prints) I'm going nowhere... And no, I don't have
that ZIF cleaning tool, but I could make one.

Also, I'm puzzled as to why pulling KK810 cable had effect at all...
Someone with a VS8000 System Manual (which I've never seen) could probably
tell.

I really, really want these three VAXen and VAXstation up and running
(preferably clustered, SMP, NetBSD/vax :-) and doing something useful, but
it looks like my hardware troubleshooting skills are not up to the task.
HELP!

--
Sergey Svishchev -- <svs@ropnet.ru> -- http://mail-index.nice.ru/