Subject: Re: VAXstation 8000
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/20/1999 09:33:37
> I fired up a VAXstation 8000 that was sitting in a corner collecting dust.
> After some fiddling, I managed to get it to work -- at least partly. It
> would not even show the chevron prompt until I pulled the KK810 cable
> (KK810 is "Control Assembly") out of GIF (Goes In First) BI bus terminator.
> Even then, no luck: (DU50 is a RD54 that is hung off KFBTA)
[[[ snip ]]]
> Something is obviously wrong, but without docs I am going nowhere...
> Comments?  Advice?

Sounds like bad memory. I'd start by trimming the system down to just
the CPU, memory, and disk controller. I don't suppose you have one of those
funky BI ZIF connector cleaners DEC used to make? (it's a long T-shaped
handle to which you attach a small PC board wrapped in cloth that's been
soaked in some sort of solvent. You put the PC board in the ZIF connector,
close the ZIF connector, then yank the PC board out (well, that's how I
used to do it; I don't recall getting any instructions with the cleaner
so I had to figure it out myself)).

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu