Subject: Re: VAXstation 8000
To: Sergey Svishchev <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/20/1999 12:04:56
Sergey Svishchev wrote:

>G'day,

>Hand transcribed logs:
>

>Plain boot:

>01000000
>%BOOT-F-Failed to allocate PFN bitmap
>

>Boot with memory test disabled:

>01000000
>%BOOT-F-Unexpected exception
>        PC=000003E1

>01000000
>%BOOT-W-Ten percent or more of main memory is bad
>%BOOT-F-Insufficient memory for CI
>

>Boot with boot breakpoint set:

>1 BRK AT 00003E8C
>00003E8C/7E5BD001
>

>Something is obviously wrong, but without docs I am going
>nowhere...
>Comments?  Advice?

I remember having a *lot* of problems with an 8350 after
pulling out a few cards to inspect them.
Woulnd't boot at all, yet the self-tests and
diagnostics ran OK.
It would appear that the BI-cards are really picky so
you might want to reset the cards and check the contacts.

Worked for me anyway..
(really hazy memory part follows) if you have the
diagnostic floppies you could try them also.

I can check the VAXBI Options Handbook and
8350 installation guide/owners manual if you want.
(I also have some other manuals like KDB50, DEBNT, DMB32
etc. though I have check them out first)

--
Jarkko Teppo
jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi