Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
To: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/1999 23:08:43
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Roger Ivie wrote:

> >> I don't suppose you want to hear about my "MicroVAX 8000". It's a VAXstation
> >> 8000 which I acquired without the E&S hardware. When I got it it had only
> >> 4MB RAM. I do have a bit more RAM for it now, however. Is the DEBNT
> >> supported?
>
> You're safe. The things been driven out to the storage shed where it's
> hopelessly buried (for some reason, the folks around here won't even
> tell me where the storage shed _is_, let alone trust me with a key).

	Feel free to take me to task for not having a usable 4MB install
	for it when someone writes support in the kernel :)

> BTW, things are looking good for my install to a Conner 1.mumble gig
> drive on my 4MB system. The key seems to be "don't go overboard on the
> swap partition". Since I had nothing better to do with the disk space,
> I was making 128 or 256MB swap partitions. My latest attempt (with a
> 32MB swap partition) is just about done unpacking the distribution sets
> onto my 998MB root partition. So things are looking up.

	Excellent stuff...

> Interestingly, the disk label put on the Jaz disk by NetBSD/vax causes
> NetBSD/i386 to panic if I attempt to edit it on the PC. I blithely assumed
> that (aside from the bootstrap programs) the disk labels would be pretty
> much the same between ports, at least among ports with the same byte
> order.

	Each port has its own cross to bear with respoect to PROM boot
	strap and partition table handling.
	Could you submit a PR with all the details of the i386 panic?

> Anyone want me to write up my experience installing on a 4MB (including
> the things I tried that didn't work) as an HTML file, kind of HOWTO style?

	Please do!

		David/absolute

	  -=-  Maybe your misinterpretation of my actions is
	      in conflict with your misconception of who I am  -=-