Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/1999 20:08:13
> 	Garg... not the answer for which I was looking :)
>
>> I don't suppose you want to hear about my "MicroVAX 8000". It's a VAXstation
>> 8000 which I acquired without the E&S hardware. When I got it it had only
>> 4MB RAM. I do have a bit more RAM for it now, however. Is the DEBNT
>> supported?

You're safe. The things been driven out to the storage shed where it's
hopelessly buried (for some reason, the folks around here won't even
tell me where the storage shed _is_, let alone trust me with a key).

BTW, things are looking good for my install to a Conner 1.mumble gig
drive on my 4MB system. The key seems to be "don't go overboard on the
swap partition". Since I had nothing better to do with the disk space,
I was making 128 or 256MB swap partitions. My latest attempt (with a
32MB swap partition) is just about done unpacking the distribution sets
onto my 998MB root partition. So things are looking up.

Interestingly, the disk label put on the Jaz disk by NetBSD/vax causes
NetBSD/i386 to panic if I attempt to edit it on the PC. I blithely assumed
that (aside from the bootstrap programs) the disk labels would be pretty
much the same between ports, at least among ports with the same byte
order.

Anyone want me to write up my experience installing on a 4MB (including
the things I tried that didn't work) as an HTML file, kind of HOWTO style?

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu