Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
To: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 15:23:57
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Roger Ivie wrote:

> > 	We're looking for people with access to both a vax and a PC who
> > 	can test out using RAWRITE and PUTR to generate RX23 and RX33
> > 	floppies, and then test boot them on their vax. (remember to gunzip!)
>
> I punched it out to a jaz disk and booted in my 3100/30 with 4MB. The
> results are, by now, thoroughly predictable: it booted OK, but disklabel
> was killed because of a lack of swap. Punching ^C before sysinst does the
> disklabel does allow me to manually label the disk, but it's all over
> when I turn the swap on:
>
>   # swapctl -a /dev/sd1b
>   sd1(ncr1:0:0): cannot allocate scsipi xs
>   sd1: not queued, error 12
>
> which is, at least, a new error message.

We found that sysinst didn't handle the case where you try to boot from
the same disk that you intend to install to.  It kept the existing disk
label from the dd'ed 1000K boot image.  Maybe you worked around this, but
I'd be curious to see what values are reported from "disklabel -r sd1"
just before you run the "swapctl -a" command.

-brian.
---