Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 15:07:27
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:

> I'm not testing with RAWRITE, et al, but I will confirm the following:
>
> Platform: 3100/30(8?)
> 	  8mb
> 	  dual SCSI
> 	  Maxtor 1528-15 (1.5gb)
> 	  Using the mono console
>
> For the first time, I've booted a floppy and successfully ran sysinst
> on these machines without a hitch.  Disklabel, newfs... all worked as
> expected via sysinst.

	Good to hear :)

> Transfer of sets via FTP is EXTREMELY slow on the vs3100.  sysinst was
> reporting just over 32KB/s via the local ethernet.  This may indeed be
> typical for the 3100, but it's news to me considering it's the first
> time I've gotten these puppies going now.

	Thats down to the non DMA nature of the SCSI driver again.
	Its probably much faster to use the NFS option if you have
	the sets on another local machine.

> And clearly, as has already been stated many times before, the SCSI
> performance is horrid.  This is evident during the set extractions.
> That fact alone should be enough to keep me using on the mvII for
> development production while looking into my own SCSI improvement
> endeavours on the 3100.  (Is anyone else already currently working
> on the DMA issues here?)

	The best way to use a 3100 or VS2000 is still diskless.
	The SCSI driver in 1.4.1 appears to be reasonably stable,
	but its definitely far from fast.
	Actually _everything_ should be much more stable in 1.4.1
	(direct that spare beer towards Ragge :)

> Much to do, and fun to be had (:
>
> Nonetheless, the boot.fs image is working as expected and without a
> hitch.  A previous mention from another tester mentioned swap issues
> while only having 4mb RAM available.   With that aside, it appears
> the boot.fs is where it should be.  I'll know the final turnout in
> a few hours after the extractions complete (!!)

	We probably want sysinst to automatically add swap as soon as
	the disk is configured, which is probably going to be needed
	for 5MB users, but its not going to help 4MB. Things are also
	going to get worse as IPv6 and more hardware support arrives.

	I think we're going to need to split into three boot.fs versions

	a) kitchensink -  as now, with support for everything. Goal is
	   to work on say 6MB and up.
	b) uUBA - slim with support for uVaxII, 11/750, and 11/780 only.
	c) uVS - slim with support for VS2000 and VS3100 only.

	Can anyone think of any other machines found with 4MB or less.
	(The uVaxI and rtVax would be in the uUBA image :)

	Can anyone think of a machine with

		David/absolute

	"Shall I be tempted by the devil thus?"
	"Yes, if the devil tempt you to do good..."