Subject: Re: Floppy boot image testers wanted!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 14:58:38
> 	We have a new boot.fs.gz image available at:
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot/1.4.1-pre2/installation/bootfs/
>
> 	This has been verified to work on tk50 and RX23 written on a vax.
>
> 	We're looking for people with access to both a vax and a PC who
> 	can test out using RAWRITE and PUTR to generate RX23 and RX33
> 	floppies, and then test boot them on their vax. (remember to gunzip!)
>
> 	boot.fs replaces the miniroot - it contains a kernel with built in
> 	ramdisk and sysinst.
>
> 	Once we have some feedback we'll get the install notes updated
> 	and online and 1.4.1 will be done...

I'm not testing with RAWRITE, et al, but I will confirm the following:

Platform: 3100/30(8?)
	  8mb
	  dual SCSI
	  Maxtor 1528-15 (1.5gb)
	  Using the mono console

For the first time, I've booted a floppy and successfully ran sysinst
on these machines without a hitch.  Disklabel, newfs... all worked as
expected via sysinst.

Transfer of sets via FTP is EXTREMELY slow on the vs3100.  sysinst was
reporting just over 32KB/s via the local ethernet.  This may indeed be
typical for the 3100, but it's news to me considering it's the first
time I've gotten these puppies going now.

And clearly, as has already been stated many times before, the SCSI
performance is horrid.  This is evident during the set extractions.
That fact alone should be enough to keep me using on the mvII for
development production while looking into my own SCSI improvement
endeavours on the 3100.  (Is anyone else already currently working
on the DMA issues here?)

Much to do, and fun to be had (:

Nonetheless, the boot.fs image is working as expected and without a
hitch.  A previous mention from another tester mentioned swap issues
while only having 4mb RAM available.   With that aside, it appears
the boot.fs is where it should be.  I'll know the final turnout in
a few hours after the extractions complete (!!)

Kudos and junk to you, David and others :)

			-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com
MRY Systems			        staylor@mrynet.lv