Subject: Re: Failing build due to optimisation
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/18/1999 10:28:18
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, NetBSD Mailing list wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I'd like to modify the Makefiles before the build reaches
> > them, as there is no way to easily get a build going again
> > without having to start from scratch; hacking the top-level
> > Makefile to skip what's already been completed isn't a
> > very good workaround.
>
> Duh? Is really "make build -DUPDATE" that bad?
>
> 	Johnny

Yes, duh.

The only thing UPDATE does is prevent cleaning.  it still causes
dependancies to be built everywhere.  Even worse, once egcs is
installed at the beginning of a build, it does a cleandir regardless
of UPDATE -- this means that the next time you to any kind of build,
it has to redo egcs.

Cheers-
			-skots
--