Subject: Re: Anyone interested in some VR-era monitors?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/15/1999 20:02:39
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, J.S. Havard wrote:
>
> > Also, since I've been sort of out of the loop on Vax, NetBSD/vax and
> > such things, how is scsi support on VS3100s?  I would surely love to
> > get the machine running off a local disk, instead of netbooting.
> > That is, if I can get the serial console working again.  I probably
> > screwed up my cable, so I'll have to look in to that.
>
> SCSI on VS3100 is go (but really really slow).  I spent the past two weeks
> testing out PIO SCSI on older VAXstations.  I can vouch for usable support
> on the VAXstation 3100/M30,M38,M76, the VAXserver 3100, and the VAXstation
> 2000.  I believe it should work for the MicroVAX 3100/10,20,10e,20e as
> well.
>
> On the M76 I can get about 90KB/s I/O, the VS2000 around 30KB/s, and the
> others around 65-75KB/s.

Well, it may be slow, but it is better than having my network clogged.

You know, somebody should really make vax cross compiler packages for all
the x86 *BSDs, Linux, Solaris, and whatever else is handy.  I might be
able to do it for Solaris/Sparc and Solaris/x86.  Hopefully, somebody has
already done this.

Regards,
John Havard