Subject: SV: Connect modem to a VAX?
To: Elmet Orasson <elmet@rasi.lr.ttu.ee>
From: Tommy Smith <thsmith@online.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/11/1999 22:05:59
> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:
>=20
> [...]
> > I don't know of anyone offhand doing the same with VAXstation 3100 =
or
> > MicroVAX 3100 class machines, but I see no reason they couldn't.  =
Getting
> > from one of the DEC MMJ ports to an RS232 style setup with all the
> > appropriate signal lines might require some research, but it should =
be
> > feasible.
>=20
> I have only used minicom and modem, more for fun as serious
> thing - just to see does it work. I had some signal problems there
> though. At least, I got minicom talking with modem. I didn't run PPP
> on it, but maybe I should try it.
> The modem I used was one of the antique ones, 2800bps :-)
>=20
As far as I know the DEC MMJ port on a VS3100 m38 is slow, only 9600bps. =
 It should allthough be fun to get a dialup connection.  Maybe it is a =
mistake to talk about slow and fast in this case.

The ethernet adapter is probably the only best choice we have on a =
VS3100 to connect to the rest of the net.

...Tommy.