Subject: Re: Connect modem to a VAX?
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/10/1999 16:30:02
> Yes.  I know of individuals running Q-bus based MicroVAX II's with MUX
> boards connected to external modems.  There's at least one person here
> running such a config as a PPP dialup host.

I do it on both qbus MVII and MV3100 (use the DB25 Luke, it's a comm
port!).  The "however" is I'm running VMS should be the same hardware
wise.  teh modems used are USR 14.4 external (they were free).

> I don't know of anyone offhand doing the same with VAXstation 3100 or
> MicroVAX 3100 class machines, but I see no reason they couldn't. Getting
> from one of the DEC MMJ ports to an RS232 style setup with all the
> appropriate signal lines might require some research, but it should be
> feasible.

Most if not all of the 3100s have one DB25 that is a full handshake comm
port.  Someone off list I used to know uses a VS2000 running ultrix to
do address majik to an isp from their local subnet.

I hand made my cables so I can't help on what ones are correct.

Allison