Subject: Re: Trouble with VAXServer 3100
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/09/1999 17:45:54
On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > NOTE: This IS NOT A VAXSTATION. When I say 'VAXServer,' I definitely
> > mean  'VAXServer.'

I have one... they do exist :-)  They're actually more closely related to
the MicroVAX 3100/10 & 20 than the VAXstation 3100.  Actually it may very
well be identical to the MV3100/10/20 series.  I really haven't done any
testing with mine yet.

> > 	Now, on to my question: I'm trying to get NetBSD 1.4/VAX to install. The
> > system has a TZ30 tape drive and two SCSI hard drives, and uses the KA41
> > CPU. I'm using the same TK50 cartridge that saved my tail when installing
> > to my MicroVAX III.

> The simple but unpleasant truth is: SCSI tapes isn't supported in the
> boot program. You have to netboot your machine to install NetBSD on it.
> Sorry.

Don't bother with 1.4.  When 1.4.1 is released with the install tools, you
may actually be able to do installs on the VAXserver 3100.  The new
miniroot put together by David Brownlee for 1.4.1 boots from TK50 tape and
both SCSI and MFM floppy drives on the VAXstation 3100s I've got around. I
haven't had the chance to boot it from SCSI tape, but it may be possible.

-brian.
---