Subject: Re: SGEC driver written.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@hermes.camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/09/1999 22:22:50
Hi !

> > doesnt SGEC have some kind of software that has to be loaded into it
> > before it works? how does it get loaded such that one could netbood with
> > this device?
> >
> The SGEC is very similar to the Tulip chip; i.e. it works as a normal
> ethernet chip. The rom routines detects and netboot from it as from
> any other device.

In some older booter, i think it was release-1.4 or so, even the VAX 4000-300
could netboot the NetBSD kernel from SGEC, but the kernel itself lacked support
before Ragges great job. (Didn't check all out... when is 1.4.1-release date ?
I want to have stable VAX 4000-300 support in there and so.)

so long.. Michael