Subject: Re: TU58 tape, (Was Re: Writing SCSI tapes)
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/08/1999 15:25:33
<If you can boot via a scsi converter on the unibus, why can't you boot from
<serial interface on the unibus?
<
<The serial TU58 was RS422 compatible but you don't have to have the physica
<connection - just simulate the packets using a PC?

It was RS422 OR RS423.  Yes you can simulate the packets.  The boot for a
serial TU58 is simple for PDP-11s but I don't know if there is a VAX one.

I know all this as I have at least 4 working ones and docs I use with
PDP-11s.

If your going to hack a serial link why not a serial port to serial port
using X/Y/Z modem from a PC at a data rate faster than the 38kb (bursty)
max of the tu58.

Allison