Subject: Trouble with VAXServer 3100
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/08/1999 11:43:44
	NOTE: This IS NOT A VAXSTATION. When I say 'VAXServer,' I definitely mean
'VAXServer.'

	I'm sorry to shout, but every time I've inquired about the beastie in the
past it has been mistaken for a VAXStation 3100. The difference appears to
be that this box is larger, and has a bunch of serial ports built in. Other
than that, it appears to use much the same internals.

	Now, on to my question: I'm trying to get NetBSD 1.4/VAX to install. The
system has a TZ30 tape drive and two SCSI hard drives, and uses the KA41
CPU. I'm using the same TK50 cartridge that saved my tail when installing
to my MicroVAX III.

	The problem: The tape booted well enough with the command b/3 mka500, but
at the second prompt when you're supposed to do the following...

>boot netbsd.gz -d

	It comes back immediately with:

Command failed: Unknown error: 32768037

	Attempting to use the other two arguments, -a and -s, produces exactly the
same results. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to try booting without
that /3 option, just to see what happens.

	Any thoughts? Could this be the issue that NetBSD has always had with the
KA41's SCSI board (PIO vs. DMA) rearing its ugly head?

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com  // E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio: WD6EOS since Dec. '77
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our
own human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."