Subject: TU58 tape, (Was Re: Writing SCSI tapes)
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Elmet Orasson <elmet@rasi.lr.ttu.ee>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/08/1999 18:48:45
On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Allison J Parent wrote:

> <TU58 sounds more familiar to me. Hmm, seems I have to run a
> <check on my biological memory... I don't have a possibility to check
>
> Tu58 uses a serial interface and only holds 256k bytes per tape.

	That was the problem when I thought about installing NetBSD on
VAX 750/11. It cant be netbooted, AFAIK. The only way could have been
the TU58 tape, wich, unfortunately, is too small. I dont have any
bigger tapes than this one...
	 So I did a little search and found out thats it's possible to
simulate TU58 tape on PC. I got impression that this allows also
creating longer 'fake' tapes. This could work when the booting system
doesn't care much, how much data has been read from tape and tries to
read till end of tape is signaled or all is read. I searched for this
emulator source code and couldn't find it. If someone has it and also
has successfully used this program, let me know.
	Maybe putting together something, that is loadable from this
TU58 tape and which implements something like netboot via tftp, could
alse solve this? I would like to run NetBSD on VAX750/11 - it's also a
great heat source, very handy at cold wintertime :-)

[...]
> All of the TK50s have a serial interface but it's rather special and the
> levels combined with other signals are not PC compatable.  There are
> TK50s (also applies to TLZ30s) with a SCSI interface that should interface
> to most PC SCSI-I interfaces.

	If they have serial interface, then maybe there is a way to
build a signal converter?

Elmet Orasson aka Bjv

Homepage (actually not :-) : http://www.pld.ttu.ee/~elmet