Subject: RDQX3 as 2nd controller (with DILOG ESDI)
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/07/1999 22:18:31
Today I successfully installed NetBSD on one of my Maxstor
ESDI XT8380E drives, which it reports as type RA80, with
678080 sectors.  I had already been netbooting this machine,
so it was a matter of disklabeling, installing the boot
blocks, creating the file systems, mounting them and
unpacking the distribution sets.  Then it booted from
DUA1 (ra1) first time.

Now, call me greedy, but I've still got an RQDX3 that
can talk to a RD54 and the floppy, and I haven't been
able to get it to work alongside the Dilog ESDI controller.
(What I did to get the DILOG to work was to set the
first three dip switches to OFF, and remove the RQDX3.
Then the DILOG shows up as CSR 772150, and everything
is fine.  Now, if I'd like to make the RQDX3 the 2nd
controller, what should I do?  I found an old post
on this list that listed the jumper settings, and I
tried to set the controller as 760334 (controller #1).

Looking at the board with the Q-bus pins upward, the
factory setting for the 11 jumpers is:

 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11
 -------------------------------
 0  1  0  1  1  0  0  0  1  0  1     factory setting (ctrl 0)
                                          (772150)
 1  1  1  0  1  1  0  0  0  0  0     controller 1 (760334)

Putting the RQDX3 back in with these jumper settings,
I get a little more action (suprisingly, it is DUB1
that responds, not DUA1!)

b dub1

Netbsd bootblocks start the autoboot countdown ...

then it dies with

?05 DBL ERR
  PC = 00000080

Netbooting it, the message I see is: mscpbus1 only
is detected, and the kernel says:" couldn't set
controller characteristics  sa=1f8"

What am I neglecting?

Doug