Subject: Dilog Disk Controller in Vaxstation II
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/02/1999 22:45:42
I found myself a Vaxstation II a couple of weeks ago, and I've been
able to get it to boot NetBSD 1.41, but now I'd like to try putting
something on the disks.  In addition to the RDQX3 with one RD54 disk,
it has a controller made by Dilog, with the number "90710" on the
plastic handle.  It's attached by MFM/RLL cables to two Maxtor
XT8380E's, which say they're 390 Mb each on the faceplace.  The
first time I plugged the system into a serial console, it booted
up VMS 4.6 from one of these drives, which VMS sees as DUB0 and
DUB1.  I've got a working installation of VMS, so I know I should be
happy, but I think I would like to replace it with NetBSD.  The trouble
is, the kernal messages about installed devices don't reveal a clue
about their whereabouts, nor indicate the existence of the controller.
Is it that this controller and its disks are not supported by NetBSD,
or do I need to compile a different kernel?

Doug