Subject: Re: kernel compile help needed. ;>
To: paul yaskowski <paul@upvchamber.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/1999 20:55:59
Hi Paul,

This is exactly what you are "supposed" to do, comment out all the hardware
you don't have and aren't using and then build the smallest possible kernel
(which maximizes memory availability).

For the CPU it helps to know the model VAX you are using. However, if it
says KA41/42 when you boot then the VAX410 is the correct CPU choice. (if
you want to see the source look in /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/vax/*cpu.c)

Once you have your new config file, type 'config XXX' (where XXX is the
name you used) and then cd to ../compile/XXX and type 'make depend ; make '
and you're off to the races.

A couple of bits of advice:
	1) ALWAYS leave a working copy of the generic kernel on your root disk so
	   that you have something to boot to when your new kernel fails.
	2) You probably want a 20 - 30MB root partition if you are going to
	   be playing around with kernels.
	3) Build your kernels as a user other than root.

--Chuck