Subject: Re: Need identification
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/31/1999 17:05:59
This is a 10 line RS422 serial interface for machines with a VAXBI bus.
This generally means a VAX 6000 or 8000. Definitely worth finding a home
for this card!!! Anybody got an 8800 out there and needs some async
lines?? :-) There is a cab kit, model number CK-DMB32-L[JM] for VAX 8[85]00
and 8200 respectively. Like XMI, VAXbi boards have any connections through
the backplane, nothing on the 'front'. Some 6000s have BI buses, IIRC.
These represent a totally different world of the VAX universe than Qbus,
and are in the third generation of VAXen i guess you could say. BI and XMI
never caught on but are a real performance and engineering leap above
Qbus and the microVAXen. Theyre nexus buses, like SBI is on a 780, and so
this board you have, like any other BI or XMI board, has full powers and
rights of a VAX processor when it comes to being a part of the machine. All
such devices talk through paged virtual DMA. Its sort of nifty to have
a serial IO card that manipulates page tables!! :-)  (it also made these
options tons more expensive than Qbus ones, which is why VAX4000's
shipped with Qbus so often ;)

well, i highly recommend finding it a good home!

happy hacking,
isildur