Subject: Re: installing problems
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: paul yaskowski <paul@upvchamber.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/1999 10:11:46
* Anders Magnusson (ragge@ludd.luth.se) [07.30.99 09:58]:
> That sounds strange. After a formatting all sectors should be OK.
> SCSI do not have any support for bad144 or similar due to how SCSI works,
> but you can use the program "badsect" to avoid special sectors.
>
> Which panic do you get?

I get this while untarring files onto sd0c which I have mounted on
/mnt:

./usr/share/doc/usd/28.bib
243376
/mnt: bad dir ino 32258 at offset 512: mangled entry
panic: bad dir
syncing disks... 99 99 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 giving up
?06 HLT INST
    PC = 800C18EA

I get this while attempting to make a new filesystem:

vax# newfs sd0a
write error: 409791
wtfs: Undefined error: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:   409792        0     4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl. 0-1347)

If I keep retrying newfs sd0a, eventually it will work one time.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. :)

--
 paul yaskowski [a paradigm of a paramount failure]