Subject: installing problems
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: paul yaskowski <paul@upvchamber.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/29/1999 21:48:25
I'm having the worst luck installing..

Anyway, my scsi disks in my vaxstation 3100 have bad sectors.  i've
formatted them with the "test 75" console command, but netbsd still has
problems with some areas.  when it attempts to write to an affected
area, the kernel panics and i find myself back at the chevron prompt.
from what i've read, you use the "bad144" program to check for bad
sectors.  is that true?  can anyone else offer help on how to get
around my bad sectors?  and, i grabbed all the precompiled sets from
ftp.netbsd.org, and none of them included a bad144 program.  i'm used
to linux's mkfs, which spawns badblocks to check for them.  is there
anyway to do this in netbsd/vax?

thanks in advance.

--
 paul yaskowski [a paradigm of a paramount failure]