Subject: Too much memory in VS3100?
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/25/1999 14:53:23
I've got another new toy, a Vaxstation 3100 M48, with TZ30 tape drive
and RRD40 CD Drive.  It has 32 Mb of ram, but no hard disks.  I sort of
successfully got it netbooted today into multiuser mode, but I run into
the following problem.  So far it's happened twice, once with trying
to run gcc, the second time running top.

It says to me:
  panic: Machine check
     syncing disks .... Trap: type 2, code 0, pc80000040a, psl 4080000
     panic: trap
  ?06 HLT INST
     PC = 800C18EA

Now I remember reading in Brian's HOWTO about not being able to netboot
with more than 16 Mb of RAM.  Is this still the case, and could this
be what's biting me, or should I be barking up another tree?

Doug