Subject: Re: Strange things...
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Cthulhu <cthulhu@flashnet.it>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/20/1999 21:08:14
On Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 09:35:48PM -0700, Brian D Chase wrote:

> > 	1) If the VAX boots when the 'timed' master is down, timed drops a
> > 		core.
> Hey, be happy that that's the only thing dumping core on you :-)  My root

Well, it is not the only.
'cc1' does too, so no kernel recompile. :(

> ld.so under 1.4, the 1.4.1 binary release is on its way so hopefully the
> most significant problems experienced with 1.4 will go away.

Oh, time to warmup again our routers... :))

> mode.  Time to submit a problem report on the matter I guess.

How?

> Never seen that before, and I even mount some of my filesystems from Linux
> systems.  Can you provide more details on the NFS problems?  (What's your
> Linux distribution, which filesystems do you see the problems with, what
> are the servers exports like?).  I can attempt to reproduce the problems
> on my systems.

Linux is an old slackware 3.1, libc5 (maybe this is the problem - I was
reading about problems with NFS in the VAX Netboot HOWTO)), I'm
exporting this:

	/export/VsII            vax2.deep.it    (rw, no_root_squash)

where:

root@rlyeh:~# l /export/VsII/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  29 root     root         2048 Jul  3 12:32 include/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Jul  3 17:30 ksrc/
drwxr-xr-x  26 root     root         1024 Jul  3 13:44 share/

that is:

	include	-> /usr/include
	share -> /usr/share
	ksrc -> /usr/src/netbsd

on the VAX.
This problem occours random, but when it happen, it is the same for all the
directories.

This is not a REAL problem, I'll just add tree 'chmod' in rc.local... :)

--

       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu http://www.rlyeh.it wgah'nagl fhtgan!
		       <cthulhu at flashnet dot it>