Subject: About working swap.
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/14/1999 23:40:30

> 	All in ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/kernels/1.4.1/

Great, David!

Some comments about the swap fixes though:

The problem with deadlocking the pagedaemon is gone, so both paging and
swapping should work now as God intended. BUT:

Under heavy swapping random processes may get segfaults. I haven't
been able to track this down, it's quite hairy to find. This happens
for example most likely when compiling libc on a 6MB machine.

Page tables are not swapped out. This causes the machine to use a little
bit more memory than needed, but I will fix it in the future.

The fixes for this is both in the -current tree and in the 1.4.1 branch.

Many thanks (again) to Chuck Silvers who helped me out to understand
how those parts of UVM worked, and how to do a good implementation
of the page table handling.

-- Ragge