Subject: Re: New virtual bus.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/12/1999 14:04:59
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> I'm currently thinking about creating a new "virtual bus", like the
> vsbus, but for MicroVAXen. As the vsbus actually is a resource holder,
> the new bus (mvbus) isn't. I'll use it just to get a better hierarchy
> for things like SGEC and SHAC that is available on some MicroVAX systems.
>
> It will look like this:
> mvbus0	at mainbus0
> sgec0	at mvbus0
> shac0	at mvbus0
> uba0	at mvbus0
>
> for example. Comments about this?

What other types of buses would be hung off of the mainbus in addition to
mvbus?  Since you're hanging the Q-bus and Unibus off of the mvbus, what
would this mean for systems like the 11/730 and 11/725 which aren't
MicroVAXen, and have the Unibus as their primary (and only?) bus.

I'm not familiar with the 11/750, 11/780, or 8000 series.  How would these
systems map out under the new scheme?

-brian.
---