Subject: Re: New virtual bus.
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/12/1999 16:38:54
> At 04:26 AM 7/12/99 , Anders Magnusson wrote:
> >I'm currently thinking about creating a new "virtual bus", like the
> >vsbus, but for MicroVAXen. As the vsbus actually is a resource holder,
> >the new bus (mvbus) isn't. I'll use it just to get a better hierarchy
> >for things like SGEC and SHAC that is available on some MicroVAX systems.
> >
> >It will look like this:
> >mvbus0  at mainbus0
> >sgec0   at mvbus0
> >shac0   at mvbus0
> >uba0    at mvbus0
> >
> >for example. Comments about this?
>
> Use ibus (since the pmax uses ibus and that might allow more
> sharing of code).

The pmax use of "ibus" seems to come from Ultrix; where it is used
as the "vsbus" is used on NetBSD/vax. There isn't anything in the
pmax world that is similar to this, and it won't be incompatible in
any way either. Where to attach the SHAC and qbus on the pmax systems
doesn't matter in this case.

-- Ragge