Subject: 1.4 - Disklabel Problem
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/09/1999 13:30:51
Hi Group:

Here's a logged session that shows what happens when I try to make disklabels
on my ra0 and/or ra1 drives. These are ESDI drives that are connected to the
MicroVax II via a qd32 controller, a combination that worked with no problem
under NetBSD 1.2G a couple of years ago.

Sysinst dumps core and I can't get disklabel to do anything with the drives.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks already to Chuck McManis for a few
suggestions that have been unsuccessful. Any other ideas?

Kevin

Excerpt from console follows:

>boot netbsd.gz -a

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.4 (INSTALL) #8: Fri May  7 17:59:32 CEST 1999
    ragge@vs4000:/usr/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/INSTALL

MicroVAX II
realmem = 13619200
avail mem = 9465856
Using 166 buffers containing 679936 bytes of memory.
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: KA630
uba0 at mainbus0: Q22
mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version 5 model 3
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
mt0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: TK50
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 5 model 13
mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RA81
ra1 at mscpbus1 drive 1: RA81
uda1 at uba0 csr 160334 vec 764 ipl 17
mscpbus2 at uda1: version 5 model 13
mscpbus2: DMA burst size set to 4
ra2 at mscpbus2 drive 0: RA81
qe0 at uba0 csr 174440 vec 760 ipl 17
qe0: deqna, hardware address 08:00:2b:07:b6:1e
dhu0 at uba0 csr 160440 vec 300 ipl 17
dhu0: rom(1) version 2 rom(0) version 2
md0: internal 1200K image area
boot device: <unknown>
root device (default md0a):
dump device (default md0b):
file system (default generic):
root on md0a dumps on md0b
Clock has lost -19421 day(s) - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
root file system type: ffs
erase ^?, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C

 Welcome to sysinst, the NetBSD-1.4 system installation tool.
 This menu-driven tool is designed to help you install NetBSD to a hard
 disk, or upgrade an existing NetBSD system, with a minimum of work.
 In the following menus, you may change the current selection by
 either typing the reference letter (a, b, c, ...).  Arrow keys may also work.
 You activate the current selection from the menu by typing the enter key.

 If you booted from a floppy, you may now remove the disk.

 Thank you for using NetBSD!

(I chose "install to hard disk")

 You have chosen to install NetBSD on your hard disk.  This will change
 information on your hard disk.  You should have made a full backup
 before this procedure!  This procedure will do the following things:
         a) Partition your disk
         b) Create new BSD file systems
         c) Load and install distribution sets

 (After you enter the partition information but before your disk is
 changed, you will have the opportunity to quit this procedure.)
 Shall we continue?

(I chose "yes")

ra0: no disk label: size 658101 sectors
ra1: no disk label: size 633672 sectors

 On which disk do you want to install NetBSD?  [ra0]: (I hit Enter)

 NetBSD uses a BSD disklabel to carve up the NetBSD portion of the disk
 into multiple BSD partitions.  You must now set up your BSD disklabel.
 You have several choices.  They are summarized below.
 -- Standard: the BSD disklabel partitions are computed by this program.
 -- Standard with X: twice the swap space, space for X binaries.
 -- Custom: you specify the sizes of all the BSD disklabel partitions.

 The NetBSD part of your disk is 321.34 Megabytes.
 Standard requires at least 132.00 Megabytes.
 Standard with X requires at least 180.00 Megabytes.

(I chose "standard")

uid 0 on /: file system full
/: write failed, file system is full
Floating point exception

# disklabel ra0
# /dev/rra0c:
type: floppy
disk: RA81
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 0
tracks/cylinder: 0
sectors/cylinder: 0
cylinders: 0
total sectors: 658101
rpm: 300
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 1		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:   658101        0     unused        0     0
  c:   658101        0     unused        0     0
disklabel: sectors/track 0
# disklabel -r -e ra0
disklabel: no disk label
# disklabel -e ra0