Subject: Re: Oooooh... IDE to Q-bus/Unibus adapters.
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/07/1999 23:15:07
<> doing Qbus DMA is not so hard and if you can find a DRV-11B plus the prin
<> for DRV11P DEC has done some of the work.  Even though the DEC chips may
<> scarce (other than stripping old boards) the functions are easily done us
<> available TTL and CMOS or for those that can FPGAs.
<
<Okay, but you're not going to find a DMA IDE controller that's not PCI.  D
<you see why I was going on about how you ought to be drawing the compariso
<to cheap _PCI_ SCSI adapters?

Your not going to find a IDE controller for anything other than PC because
there is NO DEMAND FOR IT.  People don't do much design for other busses
as there are no other busses in their field of view.  Doesn't mean it can't
be done.

FYI: I have a bus mastering VLbus cards for IDE.

The whole point is that DMA and IDE for Qbus is easily attained, easier
than PCI as it's 16bit, and the bus is slower than PCI.

For those of us with MVIIs and MVIIIs suffering with RD53/54s that are
old enough to vote and SCSI being multi hundreds of dollars.  Talking of
features and disk farms is a rather far off concept.

Allison