Subject: Re: Oooooh... IDE to Q-bus/Unibus adapters.
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/07/1999 13:32:10
AAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

How the did this end up in a SCSI vs IDE war?  Who the hell really cares
anyway.  WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MICROVAXEN HERE!!!  It would of course be
very nice if everyone had Q-bus SCSI controller, or MCSP speaking UltraDMA
IDE controllers for their Q-bus and Unibus MicroVAXen, but it's not going
to happen.

PIO IDE will no doubt perform most heinously, especially in something like
a MicroVAX II.  The point is offering support under NetBSD/vax for such
controllers would allow people to have easy access to insanely common and
cheap storage media.  Gee... I can pay $800US for a used Q-bus SCSI
controller, or I can have these diseased 70MB RD53 for free, or I can
design my own K-R4D UltraDMA Q-bus card with with Radio Shack
breadboarding for beginners kit.

A cheap PIO IDE option would be nice.

-brian.
---