Subject: Re: VS2000 and 1.4 - no go :-(
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Bernhard H. Buckel <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/1999 15:31:22
Hi, all!

    Ignatios> On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 09:51:33PM +0200, Michael Kukat
    Ignatios> wrote:
    >> That's true... Needs 20 hours to compile the kernel, but it
    >> DOES compile the kernel with 14 MB of RAM :-)

Well, I remember back then when I tried to compile a kernel with only
4MB - no way! So, yes, 14MB is _luxury_ :-)

    Ignatios> Spoiled kids.

    Ignatios> I did porting of NetBSD to a 68060 machine (where
    Ignatios> neither the mainboard nor the CPU was supported earlier)
    Ignatios> using a NetBSD/Amiga system on a 68030 @ 25 MHz system
    Ignatios> with only 8 MB of RAM.  Hm. I must admit that it has

Pffftt... This is a _really_ fast CPU - I be glad to have such
performance on the VAX!

    Ignatios> decent SCSI DMA. And maybe I had upgraded to 12 MB at
    Ignatios> that time.

Yes, DMA is always good. The PIO'ed SCSI on the lunchbox VAXen is
terribly slow - but functional.

			       Bernhard

--
Unnamed Law: