Subject: YP (NIS) and NetBSD
To: NetBSD Vax Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/30/1999 13:11:55
One of these days, I'll actually have all my questions answered.

So: As you probably all know by now, I've got this nice little cluser
set up, a MV3600 running NetBSD (1.3I) serving 8 VS3100/m38s (netbooting
NetBSD v1.4). As you can imaging, adding users or changing hosts entries
and such can be quite a pain in this environment. Seems YP is exactly
what I need, but I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about
it. I found a Linux-centric How-To that seemed to help a little, but I'm
still not quite there.

Questions:
  On the master server, do I need to run YPBIND as well as YPSERV, and
in which order? And when exactly should I run YPINIT -m?

  On the client machines, I run YPBIND, and I can sucessfully see
correct information coming from the master in response to calls such as
YPCAT and such. However, when I try to log in using a user id set up on
the master, it comes back as unknown user. How do I force the client to
retrieve the lastest info from the master? Or am I missing something
critical, like a flag telling GETTY to check YP?

Of course, I tried checking www.netbsd.org to see if they had any docs
on it, but it's kinda not working right now... :>

 -J. Buck Caldwell