Subject: Netbooting with DHCP/BOOTP
To: NetBSD Vax Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/30/1999 13:02:15
So I've got a nice little cluster I'm working on, and I've got
netbooting going well with BOOTPARAM/RARP. I've got NetBSD running on a
3600 serving 8 vs3100/m38s. Again, using bootparam/rarp, they're booting
fine.

However, I need to set up BOOTPd for another system on my network (that
CS2100 - I think I've finally figured it out), which would also speed up
booting the VS3100's. Here's my problem:

I would prefer to use the DHCPd that comes with NetBSD, and it's
built-in support for BOOTP, rather than running BOOTPd and DHCPd.
However, I can't seem to find a way to specify the root path (for
nfs-mounting the kernel) in the dhcpd.conf file. There is a "filename"
parameter, but that's not it. I've figured out how to do it with the
stand-alone BOOTPd (ie, bootptab), but will BOOTPd and DHCPd get along
loaded on the same machine (in other words, will they fight over the
BOOTP port) ?

So my questions are:

1. Can NetBSD (1.4) boot using the DHCPd (with builtin BOOTP support),
or does it need BOOTPd running seperately?

2. If it can use the built-in BOOTP in DHCPd, can someone who is
sucessfully netbooting using DHCP/BOOTP please post their dhcpd.conf?

Thanks loads.

 -J. Buck Caldwell