Subject: RE: VS2000 and SCSI - it works!
To: Andrew Back <andrew.back@seacontainers.com>
From: Bernhard H. Buckel <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/30/1999 16:58:48
Hi all!

    Andrew> Hi, For anyone feeling adventurous with their VS/uVAX
    Andrew> 2000.. A guy on comp.os.vms, Wolfgang Moeller has created
    Andrew> a patch for the system ROMs. This patch allows booting
    Andrew> from SCSI disks as 'DK' type devices and perhaps from
    Andrew> CDROM also. You need to read your ROMs from OpenVMS ,
    Andrew> patch the images and then burn new ROMs from the
    Andrew> images. The utilities for reading ROMs and the patches are

Uhmmm, I'm not that much of a kernel hacker, but this sounds rather
like _real_ hard work. Shouldn't the kernel implement the change in
the PROMS?

    Andrew> available from ftp.gwdg.de. He did post details on
    Andrew> comp.os.vms so I don't think he'll mind me passing the
    Andrew> information on. He also has a MOP loadable image that will
    Andrew> then boot from SCSI and an image that can be put on a MFM
    Andrew> disk which will load then boot from SCSI.

This sounds possible to me - but I wanted to get rid of the noisy
RD54. So right now I'm netbooting and mount sd0a as root. Multiuser is
in the works :-)

    Andrew> Id be interested to hear how anyone gets on with this
    Andrew> software, Im sure Wolfang would too
    Andrew> (moeller@gwdvms.dnet.gwdg.de).

Since I don't happen to have access to an EPROM-burner, I can't settle
for this - sounds interesting, though!

    Andrew> Any pointers for getting 1.4 installed on a SCSI disk in
    Andrew> my uVAX2K? Id like to try booting from SCSI with the aid

Not yet :-) As soon as I have this beast up and running, I'll post a
summary (or make a small webpage on the VAX which is supposed to run
boa as a webserver).

    Andrew> of Wolfgang's "ROM patch" loaded via MOP! If that works
    Andrew> it's just a matter of finding someone who can burn me some
    Andrew> new ROMs...

Well, this seems to be the only way - a naive B/MUA0 didn't
work. Besides I discovered that a "fsck /dev/sd0a" results in a kernel
panic... It says:

panic: rensa
syncing disks... 3 3 done

dumping to dev 20,1 offset 38878
dump succeeded

?06 HLT INST
   PC=800C18EA

Any hints on this?

			       Bernhard

--
Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with
nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.