Subject: Re: VAXstationII back to life
To: Cthulhu <cthulhu@flashnet.it>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/29/1999 20:48:01
Hi !

> I dowloaded release 1.4, but the netbsd.ram is not working (BTW, half
> a day to recompile kernel with RARP, find and setup bootparamd, and then
> you switch to bootp? ;) ).

With the latest booter, even DHCP works :-)
BOOTPARAMS is still supported, but i like the modern BOOTP/DHCP way much
better.

> It loads right, then I select first menu, installation from scratch.
> It asks me about partitioning, and, after the last 'Are you really sure you
> want to write disklabel onto the disk?', it stops and goes back to main
> menu, no matter of what I say.

R U sure, it really doesn't write the disklabel ? As i know, you can skip
this partitioning step (Ok, on my DECstation the installation stuff didn't
work for other reasons). If in doubt, just do the simple network
installation by booting a small system over the net, disklabel the disks,
mount 'em, untar everything into the mounted filesystem(s), do a
"./MAKEDEV all" in the /dev of the mounted filesystem, install bootloader
(disklabel -B ra0), do "halt&exit", push restart, boot from disk and just
hope it comes up :-)

> P.S.: why replies on this thread are in 3 copies?

3 ? 2 would be normal, because pine asks "reply to all...?" :-) This
means: You and port-vax. so you get it 2 times.

so long.. Michael