Subject: Re: VAXstationII back to life
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@lethe.dachau.marco.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/28/1999 14:36:50
In article <199906272022.WAA12397@father.ludd.luth.se>,
	ragge@ludd.luth.se (Anders Magnusson) writes:

>> > 3) 'shutdown -h now' doesn't work, 'halt' does, but drops a core. Why?
>>
>> Nobody knows, it cound be a problem in signal handling or so. My way to
>>
> Well, at least some people know :-) It is caused by the assembler in
> some of the files in libc. It do work if the binaries are static linked.
> Someone that understand this (Matt Thomas? :-) must look at it and fix it.

But shutdown is linked static. On the pc532 we had exactly the same problem
with shutdown about a year ago. In our case the reason was that shutdown
is using exect to execute halt or reboot. exect sets the tracebit in the psw
before doing the execve system call. But only the pc532, the i386 and the
vax port actually do this. This did result in a BPT/Trace trap on the pc532.
I'm still wondering why this works on the i386 platform.

Matthias
--
Matthias Pfaller                            Software Entwicklung
marco Systemanalyse und Entwicklung GmbH    Tel   +49 8131 5161-41