Subject: Re: VAXstationII back to life
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/1999 13:36:22
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Michael Kukat wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Cthulhu wrote:

> > > 4) The clock battery is missing, so at every boot the VAX thinks it is 1
> > > Jan 1970, or something near. Will this cause _severe_ malfunction?
> >
> > Date is set by some kind of filesystem time i think, but if you want to
> > compile something, you should set the date after every reboot, otherwise
> > "make" could think of future binaries :-)
> >
> 	You can run 'rdate <other_unix_box>' to set the clock to match
> 	another machine. You may want to create a /etc/netstart.local and
> 	drop that in to automatically set it early on in the boot sequence
> 	(Well, as soon as the network is up :)

Or you can use something like a timed setup.  I run timed as slaves on all
my network clients, with one timed master on my dialup host -- which gets
it's time from an NTP server on the outside network.  At the very least
you could setup a timed master server on one of your systems which has a
good clock, and then slave your other hosts timed's to it.

Or you could do something similar with xntpd, but I chose timed because it
required no additional reading on my part to configure it. :-)

-brian.
---