Subject: Re: VAXstationII back to life
To: Cthulhu <cthulhu@flashnet.it>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/1999 21:59:23
Hi !

> 0) While installing, while running MAKDEV, it printed:
> 	bad unit for disk in: random
> 	bad unit for disk in: raid0
> 	bad unit for disk in: raid1
> 	bad unit for disk in: raid2
>   Is '/dev/random' used by something important?

I never had any problems with this. The errors appear always, but i don't
think /dev/random is that important. Maybe it's not compiled into the
kernel or so.

> 1) At boot it says:
> 	realmem = 9428992
> 	avail mem = 6512640
>    Who is using missing memory? Kernel?

Kernel uses space for itself and for buffers and so, this seems to be
about 3 Megs on your box. "avail mem" is the amount of RAM left for
processes i would say.

> 2) About two weeks ago, I did a mirror of
> 	ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax
>    I have kernel 1.3I, while VAX port homepage was talking about 1.4.
>    I'm trying just now kernels found in kernels/, but how is full
>    distribution updated?
>    Where to look for last updates?

Should be somewhere at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/
The whole tree is there since May or so.

> 3) 'shutdown -h now' doesn't work, 'halt' does, but drops a core. Why?

Nobody knows, it cound be a problem in signal handling or so. My way to
shut down the box without puttimg some dumps across the filesystems:

halt&exit

When the controlling terminal of "halt" is away, there doesn't appear a
broken pipe (SIGPIPE) when it is just teminated by halt. Don't know if
this is the exact reason, but this is a working solution.

> 4) The clock battery is missing, so at every boot the VAX thinks it is 1
> Jan 1970, or something near. Will this cause _severe_ malfunction?

Date is set by some kind of filesystem time i think, but if you want to
compile something, you should set the date after every reboot, otherwise
"make" could think of future binaries :-)

> 5) I've a problem. When I telnet into a VAX, I think VMS. How to solve
> 	this? :)

Just a matter of time. The day will come, you flip the power switch of
your MicroVAX, log in and work on it as on every other UN*X box. And if
you have installed NetBSD on more than the VAX, you might get in trouble,
which architecture you logged in :-)

so long.. Michael