Subject: Re: Fixing the swapper (was Re: Summarisation on uvII/VS3100 booting)
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/27/1999 12:42:35
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> The main swap problem is that the pagedaemon goes to sleep and never
> wakes up. This causes the system to run out of pages rather fast :-)
> I'm trying to investigate what it is that actually happens.

Here's a new twist for you.  Sorry it's not more detailed than this, but
while compiling the scheme48-0.52 package under 1.4 on my VS3100/M76 I got
the following error echoed on the console:

  pagedaemon: deadlock detected!
  pagedaemon: deadlock detected!
  pagedaemon: deadlock detected!
  pagedaemon: deadlock detected!

It came as an incessant stream of these errors.  This is the first time
I've seen this happen, but maybe it can serve as another clue on the
pagedaemon problem.

-brian.
---